Pancake Day Recipe: Chocolate Chip, Coconut & Almond Butter Pancakes
The pancake: universally loved and lusted after, and yet lashed for its breaking-the-diet ingredients.
If you’re anything like a good number of the Columbia Family, you will have found yourself professing this weekend –once again –that ‘the diet’ starts on Monday, only to be pointedly reminded come Tuesday that it is, in fact, Pancake Day today.
Quite the dilemma with which to contend: who doesn’t want to be able to enjoy digging into a luscious stack of pancakes without feeling that sobering twinge of guilt for having digressed from your healthy lifestyle?
Not wanting to miss out, we turned to ourHébe Spa’s world-renowned skincare partner, Elemis, for inspiration as to a be-good-to-yourself alternative.
So, this Shrove Tuesday, why not try your hand at making (and eating!)Chocolate Chip, Coconut, and Almond Butter Pancakes?
Why this is a healthy alternative:
This pancake recipe uses lighter staple ingredient alternatives (namely, oat flour and almond milk), whilst maintaining the indulgence for which pancakes have become known in a healthier manner, utilising unprocessed sugar in the form of dark chocolate, cacao, and maple syrup. Moreover, the addition of banana helps to enhance your intake of vitamin B6, manganese, and potassium.
The below recipe makes 7-8 pancakes.
140g almond butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
130g oat flour
250ml almond milk
5 tablespoons maple syrup
40g ground almonds
50g dark chocolate cut into chunks
1 teaspoon of coconut oil for frying
40g creamed coconut or coconut butter
30g almond butter
3 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons almond milk
1 tablespoon cacao powder
(Optional: banana, cacao nibs, and raw chocolate to decorate)
– Mix all the ingredients together –except for the coconut oil –in a bowl.
– Heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat and then add the oil.
– Place a large spoonful of the mix into the centre of the pan and cook until you begin to see bubbles on the surface.
– Flip the pancake using a spatula and cook for another minute or two on the other side until golden brown.
– Remove from the pan and repeat with the rest of the mix until it is all used up.
– Add all the ingredients to a pan and then place it on low heat, stirring occasionally until it has all melted.
Columbia Beach Resort will be celebrating Pancake Day throughout the week, with live crepe stations in the lobby on Tuesday, February 9th, Saturday, February 13th, and Sunday, February 14th.
Our award-winning Hébe Spa works closely with Elemis, offering a number of treatments designed to reinvigorate both body and mind